On March 12, 2009, the Minister of Labour, Mr. David Whissel, introduced in the National Assembly a Bill to amend the Pay Equity Act.
The salient points of the proposed modifications are:
- the expansion of the definition of a red circle salary
- the incorporation of rules concerning maintenance of pay equity
- transitional provisions for employers who have not yet completed their pay equity process
- the creation of an advisory committee of partners
- the expansion of the powers and responsibilities of the Pay Equity Commission.
Various employer organisations have already expressed their interest to be heard in Parliamentary Commission, namely with regard to the role of the Pay Equity Commission.