I. December 2014—Tennessee Certificate of Need Meeting
At the December meeting of the Tennessee Health Services and Development Agency, Jeff Ockerman announced that the agency is conducting its final review of the 2014 State Health Plan, which the agency anticipates will be released soon.
The agency approved the following applications during the December meeting.
A. Consent Agenda
- Morristown-Hamblen Hospital, Morristown (Hamblen County), Tennessee (CN1410- 043): The initiation of mobile extra-corporeal shock-wave lithotripsy services using vendor- owned mobile lithotripsy medical equipment for two days per week on the hospital campus at an estimated project cost of $328,900.
B. Certificate of Need Review
- Chattanooga-Hamilton County Hospital Authority d/b/a Erlanger Medical Center, Chattanooga (Hamilton County), Tennessee (CN1409-038): The acquisition of a 3.0 T magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scanner at Erlanger Medical Center, 975 East 3rd Street, Chattanooga, Tennessee. The estimated project cost is $4,597,711.
- St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, Memphis (Shelby County), Tennessee (CN1409- 040): The modification of the hospital requiring a capital expenditure greater than $5 million and the addition of two licensed beds. Fifty-four acute care beds will be located on floors three through five of current shelled space to be finished in the Kay Research and Care Center. Fifty-two of the beds will be replacement beds and two will be new licensed beds. The project will also involve the finish-out of two shelled-in connectors to an adjoining building and relocation of the respiratory therapy department. The project will increase the licensed bed capacity from 78 to 80 beds. The estimated project cost is $62,500,516.
- Sumner Regional Medical Center (Sumner Station Campus), Gallatin (Sumner County), Tennessee (CN1409-041): The initiation of positron emission tomography (PET) service at the existing Sumner Station outpatient campus. The project will also include the build-out of approximately 1,425 square feet of existing space and the purchase of a PET/CT system. The estimated project cost is $2,887,396.
- University of Tennessee Medical Center, Knoxville (Knox County), Tennessee (CN1409- 042): The modification of the hospital, requiring a capital expenditure greater than $5 million dollars and the addition of 44 licensed beds. The project includes renovation and new construction totaling approximately 55,302 square feet in the following areas: (1) expansion and renovation of the neonatal intensive care unit, consisting of approximately 9,758 square feet of new construction and renovation of 55,302 square feet; (2) the addition of approximately 16,850 square feet of new space and renovation of 1,262 square feet of existing space, which will house a new addition to the intensive care unit; and (3) the renovation of approximately 12,000 square feet of existing space to convert it from non- inpatient care space to inpatient rooms. Twenty-eight of the 44 beds are anticipated to be allocated as medical/surgical beds and 16 as intensive care unit beds. The project will increase the licensed bed capacity from 581 to 625. The estimated project cost is $26,292,001.
The following application was deferred to the March 2015 meeting.
A. Certificate of Need Review
- Valley Open MRI, PC, Kimball (Marion County), Tennessee (CN1407-028): The establishment of an outpatient diagnostic center (ODC), the acquisition of MRI equipment, and the initiation of MRI services in a new, 4,380-square-foot building to be constructed at 1152 Main Street in Kimball, Tennessee, at an estimated project cost of $2,370,547.
The next agency meeting will be held on January 28 at 8:30 a.m.
II. Certificate of Need Program Report—Filings Since November 2014 Meeting
- Applications for Certificate of Need
- Chattanooga-Hamilton County Hospital Authority d/b/a Erlanger East Hospital, Chattanooga (Hamilton County), Tennessee (CN1412-048): The initiation of radiation therapy service with the acquisition of a linear accelerator located at Erlanger East to complement oncology services and to replace an existing linear accelerator at Erlanger Medical Center. The project will decrease the number of linear accelerators from two to one. The estimated project cost is $10,532,562.
- Saint Thomas Midtown Hospital, Nashville (Davidson County), Tennessee (CN1412- 049): The establishment of a satellite emergency department (ED) that will have eight treatment rooms and will be physically connected to Premier Radiology. The ED will provide full emergency diagnostic and treatment services at the hospital and will utilize Premier Radiology for diagnostic services. The estimated project cost is $65,757,172.
- TriStar Southern Hills Emergency Department at I-65, Brentwood (Davidson County), Tennessee (CN1412-050): The establishment of a satellite ED in a leased building to be constructed at the intersection of Old Hickory Boulevard and American General Way in Brentwood, Tennessee. The facility will contain eight treatment rooms for emergency diagnostic and treatment services, including laboratory services. The estimated project cost is $11,316,699.
- Advanced Diagnostic Imaging, P.C., Gallatin (Sumner County), Tennessee (CN1412- 051): The initiation of MRI services currently granted to Thomas Gautsch, M.D., P.C. in conjunction with Southern Sports Medical Institute. Dr. Gautsch will join Advanced Diagnostic Imaging, P.C. d/b/a Advanced Health Partners, a multispecialty private practice, and continue providing MRI services in the same location. The estimated project cost is $90,000.
III. Projects Deemed Complete for Review at January 2015 Meeting
There are currently no projects deemed complete for review at the agency’s meeting in January.