Matheson is pleased to confirm that Kate McKenna, partner in its EU Competition and Regulatory Law Group, has been elected as Chairperson of The Irish Society for European Law (ISEL). The ISEL, which was established in 1973 on Ireland’s entry to the EU, is an association of practising and academic lawyers tasked with promoting the study and practice of European law in Ireland.
Kate, who will serve a two-year term as Chairperson, has been a member of the ISEL for over 10 years, and has featured as a speaker and panellist at numerous ISEL events. She succeeds barrister and law lecturer, Dr Aoife Beirne BL.
Commenting on her election, Kate said, “I am delighted to have been elected as Chair of ISEL. With the twin challenges of Brexit and a global pandemic, promoting awareness of European law and Ireland’s new place in Europe assists all organisations in navigating a complex environment. I am looking forward to working with my ISEL colleagues to continue its good work.”
The ISEL organises public lectures and workshops on topics relating to European Union law and European Human Rights law. It is the publisher of the Irish Journal of European Law (IJEL) and it prepares and disseminates papers for the Fédération Internationale de Droit Européen (FIDE), of which it is the Irish affiliated member. FIDE is the International Federation for European Law and is the leading international organisation dedicated to the research and analysis of European law and its interaction with the national laws of Member States.
Matheson’s EU, Competition & Regulatory practice is acknowledged as an outstanding market leader by clients and international legal directories. Partner, Kate McKenna, is frequently recognised by international legal directories and has also recently been appointed as Non-Governmental Advisor by the European Commission, within the International Competition Network, in the Mergers Working Group.
- Matheson is an Irish law firm. Its primary focus is on serving the Irish legal needs of internationally focused companies and financial institutions doing business in and from Ireland.
- Matheson’s clients include the majority of the Fortune 100 companies and it advises 7 of the top 10 global technology brands, 7 of the world’s 10 largest asset managers, and over half of the world’s 50 largest banks.
- Matheson is headquartered in Dublin and also has offices in Cork, London, New York, San Francisco and Palo Alto. Matheson employs over 720 people across its six offices, including 97 partners and tax principals, and 520 legal, tax and digital services professionals.
- Matheson was named Ireland’s largest law firm by the Law Society of Ireland, following the annual publication of practicing solicitor numbers in Ireland in February 2021.
- In 2021, Matheson underlined its commitment to supporting diversity and inclusion by becoming a signatory to the Law Society of Ireland’s Gender Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (GEDI) Charter. Signatories to the GEDI Charter commit to treating all individuals and groups of individuals fairly and equally.
- In November 2021, Matheson was named Diversity and Inclusion Law Firm of the Year at the Irish Law Awards 2021.
- Matheson’s female / male partner gender ratio was ranked the fifth most gender-diverse in Europe, and first in Ireland, by The Lawyer in its European 100 report 2021.
- Matheson was named Ireland Law Firm of the Year at the Chambers Europe Awards 2021.
- Matheson holds the Gold Standard Award from the Irish Centre for Diversity in recognition of the firm’s development and implementation of people-focussed D&I initiatives. Matheson was the first organisation in Ireland to receive this award and is the only Irish law firm to have received D&I Gold accreditation.
- In March 2021 Matheson became one of the first Irish law firms to establish a dedicated cross-sectoral and partner-led Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) Advisory Group which assists companies in navigating and responding to the rapidly evolving ESG landscape. Matheson clients have access to an online ESG resource hub of knowledge and insights.
- In 2020, Matheson became the first Irish-headquartered law firm to sign up to the Mindful Business Charter, a collaboration between financial services businesses and law firms in Ireland and the UK promoting healthy and effective ways of working. Earlier this year, Matheson became a signatory to the Law Society of Ireland’s Professional Wellbeing Charter, which champions behaviours, skills and practices to promote and enable professional wellbeing in the workplace.
For further information:
- Simon Fullam, Matheson, e: [email protected]; m: 086 067 4684.
- David Kinch, MKC Communications; e: [email protected]; m: 086 2322439.