Spring brings a host of deadlines school districts should keep in mind. Here are some important dates for school leaders to mark on their calendars.
- March 1: Deadline for evaluation of principals and assistant principals. (105 ILCS 5/24A-15).
- 75 days before the end of the school year: A sequence of honorable dismissal list, categorized by positions and groupings, must be distributed to the exclusive bargaining representative. Also by this date, school districts must comply with the recent amendment to the Illinois School Code requiring that the school board annually establish a list showing the length of continuing service of each teacher qualified to hold any of the positions listed on the sequence of honorable dismissal list and to provide copies of such list to the union. If the district has established an alternative method of determining the sequence of dismissal, a list must be provided with that alternative method and within the same time period. (105 ILCS 5/24-12). **Check your collective bargaining agreement, which may contain different notice requirements.
- April 1: Deadline for the school board to give notice to principals and assistant principals if it intends to propose reclassification. (105 ILCS 5/10-23.8b).
- April 1: Deadline for the school board to give the school district’s superintendent written notice if it intends not to renew his or her expiring contract, stating the specific reason therefor, unless the contract specifically provides otherwise. (105 ILCS 5/10-21.4).
- 45 days before the end of the school year: Written notice to employees from the school board must be served upon (1) probationary teachers who will not be re-employed for the following school term; and (2) tenured and probationary teachers who are being honorably discharged because of a reduction in staff or discontinuation of a program (along with a statement of honorable discharge and the reason therefore). (105 ILCS 5/24-11 and 105 ILCS 5/24-12). **Check your collective bargaining agreement, which may contain different notice requirements.
- May 10: Deadline to establish and provide job descriptions with qualifications for teacher positions for use in the following school term. (105 ILCS 5/24-12).
- May 15: Students in kindergarten, second grade, and sixth grade must present proof of dental examination. (105 ILCS 5/27-8.1).