With effect from March 2012 employers are required to comply with the following obligations:
- obtain employees’ written consent to teleworking by having them sign an employment contract or an addendum to the employment contract;
- have detailed procedures for monitoring employees’ working time in the employment contract (in the absence of a provision within the applicable collective bargaining agreement);
- bear all the teleworking‑related costs (e.g. subscription to the Internet);
- inform the employees of any restrictions relating to the use of computer equipment and sanctions for failure to comply with those restrictions;
- give teleworking employees priority to take an unrelated teleworking position that is appropriate for their skills and experience;
- have an annual meeting with employees to address any issues on work conditions and workload;
- set time schedules during which teleworking employees can be contacted.
The teleworking provisions are now mandatory for all employers doing business in France.
Source: Jeantet et Associés