Effective October 1, 2012, TN visa applications from Canadians who are outside the United States may be filed with USCIS on Form I-129.  Prior to October 1, 2012, USCIS accepted Form I-129 only in connection with requests to extend a TN status or to change nonimmigrant status to TN.  Therefore, Canadians outside the U.S. were required to apply to U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) at the port of entry to obtain TN status.  Despite this change to Form I-129 acceptance policy, Canadians still may choose to file directly with CBP.