Yesterday the Commissioner of Taxation delivered a speech at the Tax Institute's 30th National Convention where he discussed a range of initiatives including:
- the ATO's Blueprint for Reinvention, and the six programs of work which comprise the blueprint
- progress in handling tax disputes, litigation, managing debt collections (including taking legal action earlier when warranted)
- the ATO's focus on international tax matters, including an update on the International Structuring and Profit-Shifting (ISAPS) program
- an upcoming "roadmap of change" for working with the tax profession
- a new online resource dedicated to privately owned groups and wealthy individuals and a new approach to risk assessment in this category, and
- from September 2015, pilot the issue of an 'OK letter' to individual taxpayers with simple affairs that confirms their 2015 tax return is closed from further compliance activity.