On May 9, the IRS released its Exempt Organization Newsletter, Issue Number 2014-9. Topics include the following:
- Register for the IRC 501(c)(6) Organizations phone forum
- IRS to Exempt Organizations as Filing Deadline Nears: Remember to File and Don’t Include SSNs on Form 990
- Treasury and the IRS invite public comment on recommendations for 2014–2015 Priority Guidance Plan
- EO Business Master File Web page link updated
- Disaster Relief Resources for Charities and Contributors
- Watch new small business health care tax credit YouTube video
1. Register for the IRC 501(c)(6) Organizations phone forum
Thursday, May 22 - 11 a.m. Eastern Time
- To file or not to file an application for recognition of exemption
- Form 1024: Applying for exemption
- Annual filing requirements for exempt organizations
- Permitted501(c)(6) purposes and activities
To receive CE credit (and a certificate of completion) you must view the presentation for a minimum of 50 minutes.
2. IRS to Exempt Organizations as Filing Deadline Nears: Remember to File and Don’t Include SSNs on Form 990
The IRS has a few important reminders as the May 15 filing deadline nears for tax-exempt organizations who operate on a calendar year basis.The IRS also cautions not to include personally identifiable information – including unnecessary SSNs or other unrequested personal information could lead to identity theft.
Review the following two items:
3. Treasury and the IRS invite public comment on recommendations for 2014–2015 Priority Guidance Plan
In addition, review the third quarter update to the IRS/Treasury Priority Guidance Plan.
4. EO Business Master File Web page link updated
The link for the Exempt Organization Business Master File Extract (EO BMF) is updated. Users should update bookmarks.
The EO BMF includes cumulative information on exempt organizations.
The data is extracted monthly and is available by state and region. The files are in comma separated value (CSV) format and can be opened by most computer applications including Excel.
The EO BMF is updated the second Monday of every month.
Next anticipated posting date: 05/12/14
5. Disaster Relief Resources for Charities and Contributors
In the aftermath of a disaster, individuals, employers and corporations often are interested in providing assistance to victims through a charitable organization.
Find specialized disaster relief resources for charities and contributors on IRS.gov. Special tax rules may apply to exempt organizations affected by a federally declared disaster area.
Find IRS News Releases about the most recent disaster declarations and learn which exempt organization requirements may be postponed in a declared disaster on IRS.gov.
6. Watch new small business health care tax credit YouTube video
Find out how small businesses and tax-exempts that provide health insurance coverage to their employees may qualify for a special tax credit by watching this new YouTube video.