L.S. Starrett Company Limited has been prosecuted after an employee sustained a serious hand injury when their glove became entangled in a machine in October 2018.  The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) issued two improvement notices to the company following the incident for failing to provide employees with appropriate training and failing to carry out a suitable and sufficient risk assessment of the drill. This should have included informing employees not to wear gloves when using this type of machinery.

The company pleaded guilty to breaching Section 2(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 and was fined £100,000.