On 16 February 2010 Sberbank (the Savings Bank of the Russian Federation) announced on its official website that the first competitive selection and approval of projects as JI projects had begun. Sberbank is authorised by the Russian Government to participate in the evaluation of project applications, ERU issuance and the acquisition and transfer of ERUs, being classified as an “Operator of Carbon Units”.
The following terms apply to this authorisation:
- an aggregate limit of 30 million ERUs may be issued, based on the results of the implementation of approved projects;
- applications for projects in the following categories (sectors) will be accepted for tender selection:
- use of solvents and similar products;
- agriculture (including forestry); and
- applications will be accepted from 17 February until 12 March 2010, from 10 am to 5 pm on business days, at: Bolshaya Yakimanka Street, 42, Moscow, Russia (contact phone numbers: +(495)505-99-20; +7(495)913-17-46, internal number 36-117).
The date and place of expert examination of submitted applications will be announced no later than 17 March 2010. Acceptance of applications will be made by personnel within the Directorate for Management of Energy Efficiency and Environmental Projects at Sberbank (the Directorate).
To facilitate the processing of applications, the Directorate issued the following recommendations (which are not compulsory and failure to comply with such recommendations will not constitute a ground for rejection of the application):
- make an advance appointment for submission of an application;
- submit copies of documents and data in electronic form (in Microsoft Office and/or Adobe Acrobat formats) together with the application;
- to include a Russian translation (certified by a notary) of all foreign language documents included in the application package;
- to prepare and submit a “special information document” (amounting to a short description of the application) following the format published on the Sberbank’s website (http://www.sbrf.ru/common/img/uploaded/files/tender/CA_Kioto_p0.doc).
The tender selection will be carried out in accordance with the Regulations on implementation of article 6 of the Kyoto Protocol to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change, as approved by resolution of the Government of the Russian Federation of 28 October 2009 ? 843 “On measures for implementation of article 6 of the Kyoto Protocol to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change”. The process will also comply with “Rules for competitive selection of submitted applications for approval of projects to be implemented within the framework of article 6 of the Kyoto Protocol to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change” (the Rules), approved by order ? 485 of the Ministry of Economic Development of 23 November 2009.