In another DTV-related development, the FCC issued two reports late Tuesday on the effects of the DTV transition on broadcast station coverage areas. According to an FCC press release, the agency’s goal in conducting a “side-by-side” comparison of analog vs. digital broadcast service areas is to “proactively identify the changes associated with the switch to digital broadcasting . . . and share the information with viewers throughout the country.” Maps showing analog and digital coverage areas for each of the 1,749 full-power TV stations in the U.S. are provided in the first report. Although the FCC concluded that 89% of these stations “will experience an overall net gain in the population that can receive their signals” after the February 2009 DTV transition deadline, the remaining 11% (consisting of 196 stations nationwide) will experience an overall net loss in viewers. As depicted in the second report, approximately 18% of stations nationwide (including some that will experience a net gain in viewers) will be unable to reach at least 2% of their current over-the-air audience as a result of changes in transmitter location, antenna patterns, station power and/or the “digital cliff” effect. The FCC stipulates, however, that the losses depicted in this report may be overstated “as it includes people who currently receive TV broadcasting service via cable or satellite . . . and people who may be receiving service from TV translators.” While acknowledging that these changes are attributable to “decisions extending back more than ten years” or to “choices made by broadcasters,” FCC Chairman Kevin Martin emphasized: “it is critical that broadcasters use this information in these reports to inform their viewers about how changes in their coverage may affect them.”