7.29.2009 The SEC’s Investor Advisory Committee held its first meeting and identified a wide range of discussion topics that it will address, including
- Fiduciary duties: what duties apply; how are those duties defined;
- Proper disclosures: whether current disclosures adequate; what changes need to be made;
- Technology: whether better technology should be used for the “flow of information” to and from investors;
- Financial Literacy: what the difference is between investor education and investor information; what the role of financial literacy is; and how can the SEC promote education;
- Valuation: whether investors understand valuation;
- Majority voting: whether this should be mandatory for all U.S. companies;
- Director-investor communications: what are the most effective ways for communication;
- Proxy voting: if information out there is adequate; whether the process and system foster informed decision-making; and
- Resources: if the SEC’s resources adequate.
Click http://www.sec.gov/news/press/2009/2009-175.htm to access the SEC press release.