Do you belong to trade associations? If so, is membership benefiting your business or career? Have you evaluated what you are putting in and taking away from your trade associations?
Often times we join trade associations because we think it is a requirement to compete or advance in our industry. Here are some questions to ask to help evaluate whether membership is benefiting your business or career:
- Has membership increased your business opportunities
- Has membership increased your industry contacts
- Has membership furthered your skill set
- Does membership provide educational opportunities
- What are the time commitments for membership
- What are the financial commitments for membership
I urge you to evaluate your membership in trade associations. If your current involvement is not benefitting your business or career, look for opportunities within the association that will meet your needs.