The global WannaCry ransomware attack should be a wake up call for all companies about the threat ransomware poses. While
WannaCry was one of the first highly publicized attacks in which ransomware was weaponized and used against numerous companies at once, there will undoubtedly be future attacks. Companies can take proactive steps to reduce their chances of being hit by the next ransomware attack, and our team is working with companies around the world to help them be more resilient in light of these evolving threats. Here are some key steps you can take to help your company protect itself from the next attack:
- Make sure software patches are routinely applied.
- If possible, only use supported operating systems and other software.
- Utilize antimalware and antivirus software tools and services.
- Back up your critical data.
- Train your employees on how to spot phishing emails.
- Create a cross-functional incident response plan.
- Practice responding to a ransomware attack in a table top exercise to be able to hit the ground running when this type of event occurs.
- Establish or enhance relationships with law enforcement and other critical partners.