The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services’ (USCIS) in Nebraska Service Center recently offered the following filing tips for preparing STEM OPT EAD applications:
- The STEM OPT EAD application must be received by the USCIS before the student’s regular postcompletion OPT expires.
- The student must have completed all requirements for his/her degree.
- The EAD application must include the employer’s E-Verify identification number. The E-Verify number is 5 or 6 digits. The application should not list the employer’s federal tax identification number.
- The student should include a copy of his/her current EAD card.
- The student should include a copy of his/her Form I-94.
- The student should include a copy of his/her SEVIS Form I-20 which has been endorsed within the past 30 days by the Designated School Official on page 1 and 3 and the student must sign page 1.
- The student must submit proof of the completion of studies and the major field of study.
- The SEVIS Form I-20 must indicate the start date of the STEM OPT as the day after the regular postcompletion OPT ends. The end date for the STEM OPT should be 17 consecutive months after the start date.
- The student must indicate “C3C” on line 16 of the STEM OPT EAD application