On 30 December 2020, the Royal Government of Cambodia issued Sub-Decree No. 224 on Construction Permit ("Sub-Decree No. 224") aimed at determining the authority, conditions, and procedures for the issuance of construction permits, construction repair permits, demolition permits, construction site opening permits, and extension permits. Sub-Decree No. 224 replaces and repeals Sub-Decree No. 86 on Construction Permit dated 19 December 1997.
Sub-Decree No. 224 governs all types of construction except those that are otherwise set out in separate regulations.
Three different authorities will be responsible for issuing the relevant permits for different types of construction works.
Ministry of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction
The Ministry of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction has the authority to issue permits for the following construction works:
- Construction works that have a surface area of more than 3,000 square meters;
- Reconstruction, addition or modification of an existing construction with a combined (new and existing structures) surface area of more than 3,000 square meters;
- Buildings that are higher than 11 storeys including the ground floor;
- Buildings that consist of underground floors with a depth of more than five meters;
- Retaining walls higher than five meters;
- Storage facilities that may pose fire hazard risks such as stations or depots for the storage, sale, or distribution of fuel, gas or other petroleum products, or tanks for the storage of petroleum, gas, flammable elements, or other petroleum products, and workshops that store flammable products;
- Water reservoirs with a height of more than 15 meters or a storage capacity of more than 50 cubic meters;
- Structures used by the sports, tourism and cultural sectors, that include multipurpose stadiums, golf courses, racing tracks, leisure parks, swimming pools, museums, theaters, conference halls and cinemas;
- Constructions in protected areas for environmental, cultural, historical purposes, or other protected areas;
- Buildings, towers, or constructions inside automobile stations, train stations, ports, airports, and power plants that are not part of road infrastructure or construction of waterworks;
- Buildings, towers or gates constructions situated at international borders;
- Telephone and radio communication towers; and
- Any other non-building structures with a height of over 30 meters.
Governors of Municipalities and Provinces
The Governors of municipalities and provinces are empowered to issue permits for the following construction works:
- Construction works that have a surface area equal to or less than 3,000 square meters and a height equal to or lower than 11 storeys with or without ground floor measuring five meters or less (except those that are granted construction permits issued by the governors of cities, districts and ‘khans’);
- Reconstruction, addition or modification of an existing structure that has a combined (new and existing structure) surface area of more than 500 square meters but equal to or lesser than 3,000 square meters;
- Retaining walls with an approximate height of five meters or less;
- Stone or concrete fences with a height of over three meters; and
- Any other non-building structures with an approximate height of 30 meters or less.
Governors of Cities, Districts and Khans
The Governors of cities, districts and khans are authorised to issue permits for the following construction works:
- Residential buildings with a surface area of approximately 500 square meters or less and a height of four storeys or less including the ground floor but without any underground floor;
- Reconstruction, addition or modification of an existing residential building that has a combined (new and existing structure) surface area of more than the surface area that is exempted from requiring a construction permit, but lesser than or equal to 500 square meters; and
- Stone or concrete fences with an approximate height of three meters or less.
The Royal Government of Cambodia has the right to commission the construction or demolition of structures that are intended to preserve classified information or national security and defence.
Applicants for construction permits, construction repair permits, demolition permits, construction site opening permits, and extension permits for the development project of immoveable properties must comply with the conditions and procedures for general construction works. They must also secure the necessary approval from the relevant authorities.