UKVI has announced that from 6 April 2017, those applying to come to UK for employment under certain SOC codes, and their adult dependents, will be subject to a requirement to produce a criminal record certificate from any country in which they have been resident for 12 months or more, consecutively or cumulative, in the previous ten years, aged 18 or over.
UKVI goes on to state that from January 2017, sponsors must start informing prospective employees at the point they assign their CoS that they may become subject to this requirement by the time they make their application, as this will enable them to begin seeking certificates where needed at the earliest opportunity and to lodge a complete application for entry clearance sooner.
The SOC codes include a number of teaching roles as well as roles in the health profession.
The teaching roles are all occupations skilled to NQF level 6 from SOC code 2312 to 2319. These are as follows:
• further education teaching professionals;
• secondary education teaching professionals;
• primary and nursery education teaching professionals;
• special needs education teaching professionals;
• senior professionals of education establishments;
• education advisers and school inspectors; and
• teaching and other educational professionals not elsewhere classified.