The NHS Information Centre has now published its Quarterly Analysis of Mental Capacity Act 2005, Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards Assessments (England) for the period 31 December 2011 to 30 March 2011. The figures reveal that:
- The number of authorisations completed was 2,267.
- Of the total assessments completed a higher proportion were for females than for males.
- 74 per cent of assessments were made by local authorities while the rest were made by primary care trusts.
- The percentage of authorisations granted which led to someone being deprived of their liberty was 54 per cent.
- At 31 December 2010 1,450 people were subject to such authorisations.
All of these figures are very similar to the figures for the previous three month period (September 2010 to December 2010).
The publication strategy is for biennial reports in 2011/12 and an annual report in 2012/13. This will perhaps give a better overall picture of how DOLS are being applied.