As of 6 April 2007, individuals who are responsible for caring for an adult have been permitted to make flexible working requests.

The Flexible Working (Eligibility, Complaints and Remedies) (Amendment) Regulations 2006 amend the Eligibility Regulations to provide that an adult carer must be (or expecting to be) caring for a person aged over 18 who is in need of care and must be married to, or the civil partner or partner of the employee; a relative of the employee; or falls into neither category but lives at the same address as the employee.

The DTI has given broad guidance on what "caring" for another adult (or child) actually means. The guidance list given is not exhaustive.

The new regulations allow an employer to request evidence that the individual in question has a qualifying relationship with the individual requiring care.