On December 8, the European Securities and Markets Authority (ESMA) published a press release confirming that it will provide updated registers in line with the revised Markets in Financial Instruments Directive (MiFID II) and the Markets in Financial Instruments Regulation (MiFIR).
On January 3, 2018, the effective date of MiFID II and MiFIR, ESMA will update existing registers and provide for the new registers required under MiFID II. However, ESMA states that a new register release will not be fully available because of IT functionality until later in Q1 2018. As an interim solution, ESMA will publish register information on a fortnightly basis. The list of affected registers is as follows:
- regulated markets;
- multilateral trading facilities;
- organized trading facilities (new for MiFID II);
- systematic internalizers;
- approved publication arrangements (new for MiFID II);
- consolidated tape providers (new for MiFID II);
- approved reporting mechanisms (new for MiFID II); and
- suspension and restorations.
The current list of central counterparties will be removed and the list of shares admitted to trading on EU regulated markets will be replaced.
ESMA encourages market participants to review the data provided and contact their national competent authority in case of any discrepancies.
The press release is available here.