Episode 8: Telehealth Barriers During Covid-19
In this episode of Health+Tech, McGuireWoods healthcare partner Janice Suchyta talks to Michele Satterlund, senior vice president in the state government relations practice of McGuireWoods Consulting and a partner with McGuireWoods, on the emergence of telehealth, particularly during the pandemic. They also look at how telehealth is evaluated state by state and discuss the need for uniform best practices.
McGuireWoods’ Health+Tech video podcast explores issues and trends at the intersection of healthcare, technology and innovation. The podcast is presented by the firm’s Digital Health, Technology and Innovation Group, which helps clients navigate transactional, regulatory and compliance challenges in areas such as telehealth, data privacy and security, and health information technology.
Hosted by partners Andrea Lee Linna, Janice M. Suchyta and Jonathan M. Ishee, the podcast features healthcare innovators and keeps listeners up to date on the laws that apply to businesses at the intersection of healthcare and technology. Videos are posted on YouTube and social media channels. Podcasts also are available on iTunes and Spotify.
Episode 7: Houston Ready to Become the Third Coast for Biotechnology
McGuireWoods healthcare partner Janice M. Suchyta talks to Donna Chang, founder and CEO of Hope Biosciences. Donna discusses how Texas — particularly Houston — is making a name for itself in biotechnology by attracting research funding, supporting premier academic medical centers and welcoming investment by major pharmaceutical companies. Hope Biosciences, a stem cell biotechnology company that has flourished as part of the biotech cluster in the Houston area, is helping to make Texas the third coast for biotechnology.
Episode 6: Health Information Exchange and Security
McGuireWoods partners Jonathan Ishee and Andrea Lee Linna talk to George Gooch, CEO of the Texas Health Services Authority (THSA), about their cybersecurity, health information exchange and pandemic surveillance initiatives. They also discuss:
- Information blocking rule compliance
- Recent Texas legislation (now signed into law) affecting healthcare breach notification
- The role of health information exchange in public health surveillanceTHSA initiatives using open-source digital health tools to provide real-time situational awareness to healthcare providers during the pandemic
Episode 5: Venture Capital in Digital Health
Dr. Anwar Hussain, General Partner at RhythmVC and McGuireWoods Chicago partner Andrea Lee Linna discuss digital healthcare and the nuts and bolts needed to create better systems. Their discussion covers:
- What venture capital is looking for when investing in digital health
- Opportunities for startups in healthcare business-to-business software
- How healthcare regulations impact digital health investment
- Application of artificial intelligence, blockchain and the internet of things to healthcare data
Episode 4: Exploring Recent Changes in Interoperability and Information Blocking
For this episode of Health+Tech, join Lauren Riplinger, vice president of policy and government affairs at AHIMA, and McGuireWoods healthcare partner Janice Suchyta, who co-leads the firm's digital health group. Discussion will cover the following topics:
- The new Cures Act patient access rule and how to comply with the open notes requirements
- Trends in health information interoperability among healthcare entities
- Compliance needs for information-blocking rules and exceptions
Episode 3: Leveraging Technology to Improve Physician Contracting
- How providers can leverage technology to streamline their physician contracting processes to reduce administrative burdens on physicians and staff
- How the Anti-Kickback Statute and Stark Law apply to physician contracting and how providers can leverage technology to ensure regulatory compliance
- How process automation can improve business efficiencies and physician relationships
Episode 2: Edge of Digital Health Transformation
On this episode of Health+Tech, hear from healthcare IT executive John Glaser discussing key issues in the digital health space.
John is a former senior vice president of Population Health at Cerner Corporation, and a former CEO of Siemens Health Services. Before that, he was CIO at Partners HealthCare and senior advisor at the Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology. He also serves on the board for a number of healthcare organizations.
Episode 1: Post-Pandemic Healthcare Compliance and Enforcement Priorities
On this episode of Health+Tech, we speak with McGuireWoods partner Michael Podberesky about government enforcement trends at the intersection of healthcare and technology.
A former federal prosecutor in the U.S. Department of Justice’s Civil Fraud Section, Michael recently joined McGuireWoods’ nationally recognized Government Investigations & White Collar Litigation and Healthcare Departments and co-chairs the firm’s False Claims Act investigations, litigation and enforcement team.
On this podcast we discuss:
- Post-pandemic compliance and enforcement
- The Biden administration’s digital health enforcement priorities
- Preparing for enforcement in an evolving regulatory landscape
- Addressing billing errors that occurred during the pandemic
- Government investigations and prosecutor’s enforcement approach among different sizes and types of providers
- Responding to a subpoena or civil investigative demand