By Julia Uznanski

Firm: KLIEMT.HR Lawyers

Despite the EU Commission’s reform plans on coordination of social security systems, an A1 certificate of coverage is currently still required for business travel between EU and EEA member states and Switzerland. This also applies to business trips lasting only a few hours.

From 1 January 2019, the A1 certificate may only be obtained electronically, usually via the payroll provider, for business travel from Germany to other EU/EEA member states or Switzerland. Until 30 June 2019, a paper application can still be made in justified individual cases.