Best practice recommendations include:
- Local law for local customers
- Identifying location of data centres
- Documented management systems, processes and resources
- Clear SLAs showing average availability times
- Clear statements of what losses a cloud service provider will cover
- Adequate opportunity for customers to retrieve their data
- Migration assistance to a replacement provider
- Also, cloud service providers can accredit under the Cloud Industry Forum's Code of Practice.
We see best practice and accreditation increasing in importance as customers seek to differentiate between cloud service providers and get the protection they need. Also, we see cloud service providers responding to this for a way of standing out in a crowded market and offering reassurance to customers.