The inability to afford care fees is a big dilemma which care home residents and their family members face. If the money that has been used to pay for long-term care is running out, there are several options that need to be considered including whether you can turn to anyone for financial support to fund the cost of on-going care. At present a person should be entitled to financial support from their local authority for care, once their capital falls below £23,250.

Care Needs Assessment

You should arrange a care needs assessment with the relevant local authority. The assessment will consider your current care needs and what care will be required in the future.

Financial Assessment

If the care needs assessment indicates that you are entitled to support, you will need to arrange for a financial assessment to be undertaken. The relevant local authority will require a detailed form to be completed to consider your income, savings, assets and eligibility for funding. Depending on the outcome of the financial assessment, you might still need to pay a contribution towards your care.

Can you remain in the care home?

This is a common question that is raised by the family. As you may no longer have sufficient funds to pay for the care, this does not automatically mean you will have to move into a different care home. It is important to consider the contract that has been signed with the care home or provider which should detail the procedure adopted by the particular care home in detail. Some care providers will allow you to stay at the care home while you are applying for funding. In certain circumstances the care home may also accept a lower weekly cost of care rate from the local authority so that you will not have to move and can continue to have the benefit of continuity of care.