Question: I damaged my neighbour's car and he filed a criminal case against me. My passport is now being held with police. Can I request that he issue me a waiver to drop charges against me? If he gave me such a waiver, will the case be considered closed or will I still need a lawyer? If the case is dropped will I be able to travel again freely?

Answer: Yes, if you could get a waiver from your neighbour, the case shall be closed. Such waiver should be submitted to the prosecution, police station or criminal courts. If the case has been closed, you will be free to travel and you do not need a lawyer. It is advisable that such waiver shall be signed in the Notary Public or before the competent judicial authority.