A Bristol plumber was electrocuted while installing a washing machine because the socket powering it had been wired incorrectly. Mr. Danny Edwards touched a copper water pipe and the back of the washing machine simultaneously, causing an electric shock and his death.

The HSE investigation found that the electrics in the kitchen had been signed off as safe, however the live and earth wires had been put into the socket incorrectly resulting in the washing machine becoming electrically live when it was plugged in.

Birakos Enterprises Ltd was found guilty of breaching regulations 4(1) and 16 of the Control of Electricity Regulations 1989 and section 2(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974. The firm was fined £125,000 and ordered to pay costs of £50,000.