IMPACT – MEDIUM
What is the change? The Chinese Embassy in Copenhagen has introduced a pilot program requiring that some visa applicants attend an in-person interview as part of the application process.
What does the change mean? About 10 to 20 percent of applicants will be selected randomly for interviews during the trial period. The pilot program will continue for a short time and could lead to a permanent requirement later.
- Implementation time frame: Immediate.
- Visas/permits affected: Chinese visas.
- Who is affected: Individuals applying for Chinese visas in Denmark.
- Impact on processing times: The interview will add another step in the process for those who are selected to be interviewed.
- Business impact: Foreign employees should be prepared to appear in person to attend an interview if they are selected.
BAL Analysis: The change follows similar requirements recently introduced by Chinese embassies in other locations, including interviews for Z work visa applicants in London and mandatory biometrics appointments in Sweden.