During a briefing in parliament regarding the impact of the State of the Nation Address (SONA) on the Department of Energy (DOE), the minister Tina Joemat-Pettersson, announced that the DOE will issue the Request for Proposals for the 1st window of gas to power bids in the 2nd quarter of the 2016/17 financial year.
The minister also revealed that evaluation of the bids for the coal independent power producer will be completed within two months.
In response to the 2016 SONA regarding the nuclear build programme, the DOE undertakes the following:
- Establish the Programme Management Office (PMO) and systems to manage the nuclear programme.
- Appoint transactional advisors to advise the department on the transaction including financing and funding, procurement, legal etc.
- Develop and approve the procurement strategy.
- Issue the Request for Proposals for 9600 MW Nuclear Programme to test the market and determine the cost of building a nuclear power plant.
- Make recommendations to the procurement governance structures and Cabinet.
- Place nuclear experts within the PMO.
- Increase public awareness and education to demystify nuclear energy.
- Implement a training and skills development strategy for capacity building for the programme.
- Finalise various strategies for the entire nuclear value chain.
- Provide oversight and monitor implementation of the programme.
Briefing to the Portfolio Committee on Energy on the Impact of 2016 SONA made available by Sabinet