On October 27, 2015, it was published in the Official Gazette of the Federation the project prepared by the Ministry of Labor and Social Welfare of the "Official Mexican Norms PROY-NOM-034-STPS-2015, Safety conditions for the access and development of activities for workers with disabilities in work centers", in order for those interested in the project, may file comments before the National Advisory Committee on Occupational Safety and Health, within 60 days following the date of publication.
The purpose of this Official Mexican Norm Project is to establish safety conditions to protect the physical integrity and health of workers with disabilities in work centers, as well as to regulate the access and development of activities carried out by individuals with disabilities in work centers that have more than fifty workers or that have at least one worker with a disability.
The Official Mexican Norm Project establishes, among others, the following obligations to employers:
- To analyze the compatibility between job positions' requirements and workers' disabilities.
- To have appropriate facilities that allow workers with disabilities to access the work center.
- To have appropriate facilities that allow workers with disabilities the development of their activities, taking into consideration, as applicable, the use of guide dogs in the area of work in work centers that have more than fifty workers.
- To establish in written form the corrective and preventive actions to be implemented in the workplace.
- To install in the job areas that require it, the emergency signage needed for the evacuation of workers with disabilities in case of an emergency and according to their disabilities.
- To have an emergency response plan in place.
- To properly inform workers with disabilities about the risks and security measures in the job site and the steps that need to follow in case of an emergency.
- To train workers with disabilities for their development in their job positions and about what to do in case of an emergency.
Once the comments made by the persons interested in this project have been evaluated, the National Advisory Committee on Occupational Safety and Health will answer the comments and questions in order to determine the scope of the final Official Mexican Norm.