Following our previous client updates, we bring to your attention two additional recent developments, in relation to Covid-19 as well as a helpful Do’s and Don’ts guide for employer’s.
1. Comprehensive Medical Certificate – Children in Home Quarantine
►The comprehensive medical certificate, which was previously issued for employees in home quarantine (as per our previous update), has been extended to account for an employee’s right to be absent from work due to their child being in home quarantine. The approval is subject to the terms of the Sick Pay Law (Absence due to a Child’s illness), 1993. In this respect:
- A “child” is generally defined as under 16
- In general, employees are entitled to utilize up to 8 of their sick leave days (per year), on account of their child being in home quarantine (and up to 16 days per year, if the child is in their sole custody, or if the parent is an independent parent, as defined by law).
►Employees are required to submit a declaration, and attach thereto, proof that prior to their arrival in Israel, they, or their child, Visited one of the countries that was defined in the relevant order, as requiring home quarantine upon return. Click Here to review the Comprehensive Medical Certificate.
2. Entitlement to Unemployment Benefits during a Period of Unpaid Leave, due to Covid-19
►As of March 10, 2020, the Government Employment Service and the National Insurance Institute have made their requirements for receiving unemployment benefits, more flexible, in circumstances in which employees have been placed on unpaid leave by their employer, due to the spread of Covid-19. In this context:
- The unpaid leave period must be at the employer’s initiative, and must last for over 30 days.
- Employees must declare on their being placed on unpaid leave at the employer’s initiative, and declare that, to the best of their knowledge, their employer intends to continue their employment when the crisis ends.
- Employees will be required to appear at the Government Employment Agency once a month until the crisis ends, or the unpaid leave ends, or until they are offered another suitable job.
- Employees who are required to be in home quarantine, will not be required to go in person to the Government Employment Service. Upon the completion of the home quarantine period, the employees will be required to submit a special declaration form, on the matter.
- Employees are not required to utilize their accrued annual leave entitlement in order to receive unemployment benefits.
3. Hot off the press
In a press conference that was conducted earlier tonight, the Prime Minister and Minister of Health communicated their intent to broaden the prohibition on organized gatherings, such that it will be prohibited to conduct gatherings of over 100 people.
As always, we are here to advise and assist in any way, and will keep you up to date on any new developments.
This update should be read in conjunction with our previous updates.