Within the next two weeks, the Pennsylvania House of Representatives is expected to pass bills that would:
- Eliminate or greatly reduce real property taxes;
- Expand the sales/use tax base to include many services and eliminate many existing exemptions;
- Increase the sales/use tax rate;
- Increase the personal income tax rate; and/or
- Increase the realty transfer tax rate.
In order for these provisions to become law, they must also be passed by the Pennsylvania Senate and be signed by the Governor. We understand that the Pennsylvania Senate has advised the House that even if the House passes these bills, the Senate will not consider, let alone pass, the bills. We will closely monitor these efforts, and advise you if there are any further developments.