The Ontario Securities Commission released on August 23, 2018 (Staff Notice).
The Staff Notice included, at Part 1.3, a review of the recent activities of the OSC LaunchPad. The LaunchPad is actively engaged with novel fintech businesses providing support in navigating regulatory requirements. The Staff Notice highlighted the following key accomplishments of the OSC LaunchPad in fiscal 2017-2018:
- 242 Meetings with fintech businesses and stakeholders
- 156 requests for support received and direct support provided to fintech businesses
- 55 events hosted by the OSC LaunchPad or in which it participated
- 25 collaborative reviews with the Canadian Securities Adminstrators’ Regulatory Sandbox regarding novel business models that want to operate across Canada.
Although the industry was initially focussed on online advisors, online lenders and crowdfunding portals, OSC Staff advised in the Staff Notice that industry focus has largely shifted to cryptoasset-related businesses, including initial coin and token offerings, cryptoasset investment funds, traditional financial service businesses utilizing blockchain technology and crypto asset trading platforms. In addition, the OSC Launchpad is seeing businesses focussed on RegTech services, technology-based compliance solutions and data analytics services.
You can find a list of approved novel products and services on the OSC LaunchPad’s dedicated website including:
- Coin and token offerings of Impak and Token Funder
- Cryptocurrency investment funds of First Block Capital, Ross Smith, 3iQ, Rivemont/Majestic
- Lending platforms – Lending Loop and Lendified/Vault Circle
- Online advisers – Wealthsimple
- Online venture capital raising platforms – AngelList
- Trading platforms – FinMatch/Disintermediate Technologies.