A question that we are often posed is whether you can bring an adult-dependent, such as a parent, to the UK using the Dependent Visa route. We understand that there are many misconceptions about the Dependent Visa route, and some of those we are going to dispel in this article. We hope that by the end of this article, you are clear as to the options of those who wish to apply for a Dependent Visa, and will have a clear idea on how to progress.

Bringing Parents To The UK On A Dependent Visa

So, down to the most important question, we have set out to answer: can you bring your parents to the UK on a Dependent Visa? Well, as you may have probably guessed for yourself, the answer is not all that clear and is going to depend upon many factors. The most important factor is whether they are able to care for themselves on a day-to-day basis. If they can then they will not be able to use the Dependent Visa as a means to enter the UK. This, however, is not the end of the story. If your parents are looking to stay long-term then they will not be able to do so, they can, however, use a multi-year Standard Visitor Visa to make multiple trips of up to six months at a time over a period defined by the visa - we will look at this option in more detail in a later section.

If your parents cannot care for themselves then they may be able to apply to come to the UK on a Dependent Visa. This isn't a straightforward option, and they will be required to prove that they cannot look after themselves in order for them to be able to come to the UK to live with and be cared for by you. If this is an avenue you wish to explore, please get in touch and let us help you to apply.

Dependent Visas For Adults

Theoretically, the only adult that is eligible to join you in the UK is your spouse or partner. This is to avoid people bringing various working-age adults with them who may use the option as a way to circumvent the visa rules that are laid out for economic migrants. This system helps to ensure that there is minimal opportunity for abuse of the visa system, and ensures a fair system for those who wish to come to the UK to work.

Many people (wrongly) believe that these rules don't apply to adult children - this is not the case. In the eyes of the immigration rules, adult children are treated in the same manner that all other adults are. If your working-age children are looking to move to the UK to live and work, they will need to enter via an alternative visa route such as the Tier 2 General Visa

Exemptions For Dependents

As we noted previously, there is an option to apply for a Dependent Visa if your adult relative is unable to care for themselves. In order to qualify, there will need to be extensive proof offered that shows that the applicant cannot live day-to-day without a high level of personal care. This proof will likely take the form of medical notes that will need to be provided in their entirety to UK Visas and Immigration to be considered.

If your dependent relative has a partner in their country of origin who wishes to join them in the UK, the partner will also need to qualify due to their own ill health. If they are not in ill health, it will be considered that they can look after their partner in their country of origin. Due to the highly complex nature of the Dependent Visa you will almost certainly need the help of immigration solicitors such as ourselves. The sheer volume of requirements means that an expert eye will need to be cast over any application materials before they are submitted. So if you wish to discuss your options, call today and speak to a member of our team.

Alternatives To The Dependent Visa

If you are unable to successfully apply for a Dependent Visa for your infirm relative, you may wish to consider alternative options. Unfortunately, these options are rather limited by the fact that your relative will be unable to apply for any of the work visas ,as they are clearly unable to work. One option that does exist is the Standard Visitor Visa.While in its usual form the visa is aimed at a single, short-term visit, there is also the option to apply for a multiyear, multi-visit option.

The multi-year, multi-visit version of the Standard Visitor Visa still limits stays in the UK to 6 months but allows for various visits of up to 6 months over a period of several years - these options are currently 2, 5 and 10 years. While this clearly isn't the same as receiving a long-term visa such as a Dependent Visa, it does offer the option of having relatives stay in the UK for extended periods for respite, recovery and medical care if required. While it isn't ideal, the multi-year, multi-visit Standard Visitor Visa is often the best option for those who need to bring infirm relatives to the UK.