An Assembly Democratic legislative package to promote the buying of electric vehicles by New Jersey residents and businesses was released recently by an Assembly panel.
The 6-bill package offers tax incentives for purchasing electric vehicles and charging stations.
They're variously sponsored by Majority Leader Joseph Cryan, Wayne P. DeAngelo, Linda Stender, Connie Wagner, Craig J. Coughlin, Angel Fuentes, Daniel R. Benson, Kevin J. Ryan and Gilbert "Whip" Wilson.
The package comes shortly after President Barack Obama, in his State of the Union address, pledged to work to put 1 million advanced technology vehicles such as electric cars and hybrids on America's roads by 2015
. "These bills are job creation and economic development measures, plain and simple," said DeAngelo (DMercer/ Middlesex). "If we send the message that New Jersey is welcoming toward electric vehicles, then we'll see more sales and attract an entirely new industry that can bring new high-paying jobs for working class residents."
The bills would do the following:
- Provide a corporation business tax credit or a gross income tax deduction for the purchase and installation of electric vehicle charging stations (A-3650). Sponsored by Wagner, Coughlin, Fuentes and DeAngelo;
- Provide a corporation business tax credit or a gross income tax deduction for the purchase of an electric vehicle or plug-in hybrid electric vehicle and a corporation business tax credit for the purchase of an electric truck or electric bus (A-3651). Sponsored by Benson, Ryan, Wilson and DeAngelo;
- Require owners of shopping center developments to provide, during operating hours of the shopping center, electric vehicle charging stations for plug-in electric vehicles (A-3647). Sponsored by Cryan;
- Direct the New Jersey Turnpike Authority and the South Jersey Turnpike Authority to equip service areas with electric vehicle charging stations that would charge plug-in electric vehicles (A-3648). Sponsored by DeAngelo, Stender and Milam;
- Prohibit the Commissioner of Environmental Protection from issuing any permit or other approval under state or federal law for a shopping center development unless at least five percent of its parking spaces are to be equipped with electric vehicle charging stations (A-3649). Sponsored by Cryan; and
- Urge the U.S. Congress and the President to provide financial support and other incentives to the states to promote and incentivize the purchase