The International Organization of Securities Commissions (IOSCO) has issued a report on the Regulation of Retail Structured Products. This Final Report sets out a toolkit outlining regulatory options that IOSCO members may find useful in their regulation of retail structured products.
The Toolkit has five sections with 15 regulatory tools that are organised along the value chain of the retail structured product market, from issuance to distribution to investment. They cover:
- a potential regulatory approach to retail structured products;
- potential regulation of the product design and issuance;
- potential regulation of product disclosure and marketing;
- potential regulation of the product distribution; and
- potential regulation of post-sales practices (once investors have the products).