A Performance Pledge for Intellectual Property Registration was introduced by the Intellectual Property Office of Singapore (IPOS) on 4 August 2014.
For patents, a grant of a Singapore patent application may be obtained within 12 months from the date of filing the application if certain requirements are met. The requirements are as follows:
- The application is first filed in Singapore or validly claims priority under Section 17 of the Singapore Patents Act from an earlier patent application;
- Required filing form and complete patent specification are filed, and prescribed fee is paid;
- Request for search and examination report is filed and prescribed fee is paid on the same day the application is filed;
- Clear Formalities Examination Report is issued;
- A favourable search and examination report is issued after first round of search and examination;
- Grant fee is paid within 2 months from the date of issuance of notice of eligibility for grant;
- For Singapore applications first filed at IPOS, request for early publication is filed on the same day the grant fee is paid; and
- The specific time limits for action are followed by the patent applicant.
Apart from the above, IPOS has also pledged to adjudicate 90% of cases within 4 months from the time they are ready for full hearings; and for straightforward cases, to issue Grounds of Decision within 6 months from the conclusion of full hearings.