On February 27, 2017, the U.S. International Trade Commission (“Commission”) issued a press release announcing their vote to institute an investigation of Certain Digital Television Set-Top Boxes And Remote Control Devices and Components Thereof (Inv. No. 337-TA-1041).
By way of background, this investigation is based on a January 26, 2017 complaint filed by Kudelski SA of Switzerland, OpenTV, Inc. of Mountain View, California, Nagra USA, Inc. of San Francisco, California, and Nagravision SA of Switzerland alleging violation of Section 337 by way of unlawful importation into the U.S., selling for importation, and/or selling within the U.S. after importation certain digital television set-top boxes, remote control devices, and components thereof that infringe one or more claims of U.S. Patent Nos. 6,345,389; 7,028,327; and 7,725,720. See our January 30, 2017 post for more details on the complaint.
According to the Notice of Investigation, the Commission has identified the following as the respondents in this investigation:
- Comcast Corp. of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Comcast Cable Communications, LLC of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Comcast Cable Communications Management, LLC of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Comcast Business Communications, LLC of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Comcast STB Software I, LLC of Wilmington, Delaware
- ARRIS International plc of Suwanee, Georgia
- ARRIS Group, Inc. of Suwanee, Georgia
- ARRIS Technology, Inc. of Horsham, Pennsylvania
- ARRIS Enterprises LLC of Suwanee, Georgia
- ARRIS Solutions, Inc. of Suwanee, Georgia
- ARRIS Global Ltd. (formerly Pace Ltd.) of the United Kingdom
- Pace Americas, LLC of Boca Raton, Florida
- Pace USA, LLC of Boca Raton, Florida
- Universal Electronics Inc. of Santa Ana, California
- Gemstar Technology (China) Co. Ltd. of China
- Gemstar Technology (Qinzhou) Co. Ltd. of China
- Gemstar Technology (Yangzhou) Co. Ltd. of China
Lastly, Chief ALJ Charles E. Bullock issued a notice indicating that Theodore R. Essex will be the presiding Administrative Law Judge in this matter.