The cost of care can be very high. You may be required to pay for all of your own care, or maybe entitled to one of the following:

  • Local Authority funding
  • NHS funding   
  • Welfare benefits to help pay for your care and support

Types of funding for care needs

NHS Equipment

The NHS is obliged to provide certain types of healthcare equipment you may need. This could apply for a person who lives in the community or a resident in a care home.

NHS Continuing Healthcare

This would apply to a person who has very severe and complex health needs. It is not means tested. There is usually an annual review by the NHS for this type of funding.

Nursing care

This applies for a person residing in a care home who requires some element of nursing care. They will get payment from the NHS to help pay for their nursing care.

NHS after care

People who were detained in hospital under the Mental Heath Act will have their after care service provided free. Again, this is usually reviewed on an annual basis and is not means tested.

Help from charities

Some charities can help with funding care needs. These grants are often provided if you care for a severely disabled child aged 17 or over.

Local Authority Funding

The first place to start is by asking your local authority for an assessment of your social care needs. They will visit you and make an assessment. If you are not happy with that you have the right to appeal their decision. What you are entitled to will depend on your need for care support as well as your financial circumstances.

Future changes to the care system

It is proposed that the current Local Authority means testing capital disqualification level will increase from £23,000.00 to a “cap” of £72,000.00.