The Legal Ombudsman, which handles complaints in relation to claims management companies (CMCs), has published the first set of statistics since it started to handle complaints on 28 January 2015. The data covers the period from 28 January to 30 April 2015.
Key points in respect of the breakdown of complaints received are:
- It has accepted 253 cases, within which there have been 681 complaints or issues raised.
- It receives around 1,350 contacts per month, which equates to around 61 contacts each day.
- Fee related complaints account for 30% of complaints overall.
- Delay or failure to progress cases accounts for 15% of complaints.
- Failure to keep the customer updated accounts for 8% of complaints.
- A significant proportion (79%) of the financial products and services complaints received related to PPI.
In respect of complaints resolved, the key points include:
- 146 complaints were resolved in the first 3 months.
- No remedy was awarded in 50% of cases.
- In 21% of cases the Legal Ombudsman limited fees and in 11% compensation was awarded.
Full details on the statistics can be read here.