An Irish coroner has ruled that a man who burned to death in his home died as a result of spontaneous combustion.

The badly burned body of Michael Faherty was found in his sitting room. Forensic experts concluded that a fire in the fireplace in the room was not the cause of his death. No trace of an accelerant had been found and there was no suggestion of foul play.  

As a firm we advise many NHS clients on inquests but this was certainly the most unusual coroner's verdict we have heard about.