On November 10, 2010, CMS issued a notice requesting comments regarding certain policies and standards that will apply to accountable care organizations (ACOs) and the Medicare Shared Savings Program under section 3021 and 3022 of the Affordable Care Act.
Among other things, CMS is requesting comments on the following issues:
- Which policies and standards CMS should consider adopting to ensure that groups of solo and small practice providers are able to actively participate in the Medicare Shared Savings Program and the ACO models that will be tested;
- How CMS should attribute beneficiaries to an ACO;
- How CMS should assess beneficiary and caregiver experience of care as part of the agency’s assessment of ACO performance;
- Which aspects of patient-centeredness are important for CMS to consider and how the agency should evaluate them; and
- The quality measures that the Secretary should use to determine performance in the Shared Savings Program.
Comments will be due 21 days after the notice is published in the Federal Register, on November 17. The full text of the notice is available here.