In light of the recent Supreme Court decisions, the Minnesota Department of Revenue is planning to provide guidance on how the decisions affect Minnesota state tax issues. The tax issues include the withholding of imputed income for health coverage of domestic partners and same-sex spouses. The Minnesota Department is currently aiming to provide advice during its July 18th conference call for practitioners. The scope of this advice will likely hinge on the amount of guidance the IRS has issued as of that date. The IRS is currently considering its response to the Supreme Court decisions.
FaegreBD has covered the Supreme Court decisions from several perspectives. For more information:
- Summaries of the decisions and background from our appellate advocacy team – Windsor and Perry
- Interviews with Minneapolis/St. Paul Business Journal and KARE 11 about the local implications for Minnesotans
- Benefits alert about what the decisions mean for employee benefit plans
- Employment alert about what changes in FMLA
- Video analysis of the Supreme Court decisions