The State Council Information Office held a press conference on April 23, 2020. At the meeting, Shen Changyu, director of the CNIPA, said that this year was the closing year of the national intellectual property strategy introduced and implemented in 2008. Since the "National Intellectual Property Strategy Guideline" was promulgated and implemented in 2008, CNIPA has achieved the following.
1. The number of intellectual property rights has increased substantially. From 2007 to 2019, the number of effective invention patents in China (excluding Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan) has increased from 84,000 to 1.862 million, and the total number of valid registered trademarks has increased from 2.353 million to 25.191 million. At the same time, the numbers of copyrights, new plant varieties, geographical indications, integrated circuit layout designs, etc. have also increased substantially. Core patents, well-known brands, fine copyrights, new varieties of fine plants, etc. continued to increase.
2. The use of intellectual property rights has achieved remarkable results and has effectively promoted economic and social development. In 2018, the added value of patent-intensive industries nationwide reached RMB 10.7 trillion, accounting for 11.6% of the GDP. In 2019, the total box office reached RMB 64.3 billion, nearly 20 times that of 2007. The total import and export of intellectual property rights fees increased from US $ 8.5 billion in 2007 to US $ 41 billion in 2019, an increase of nearly five times.
3. The protection of intellectual property rights has been continuously strengthened and the business environment has continued to improve.
4. The awareness of intellectual property rights in the whole society has improved significantly. The public's awareness of intellectual property strategy increased from 3.7% in 2008 to 86.3% in 2017.
5. International cooperation in intellectual property rights has been continuously expanded and deepened, and international influence has increased significantly. At present, China has established intellectual property cooperative relations with more than 80 countries and regions and international organizations around the world. More and more Chinese companies are carrying out the overseas planning of intellectual property rights. PCT international patent applications ranked the first in the world last year. The number of international trademark applications filed through the Madrid system ranks third in the world.
At present, we are working hard to formulate a strategic outline for building a strong IP system by 2035.