On 21 November 2012, the NHS Confederation Community Health Services Forum published a briefing on NHS Continuing Healthcare.
It outlines the challenges and opportunities commissioners will need to consider as responsibilities change for assessing eligibility for CHC and commissioning it.
It sets out:
- Key issues for commissioners
- Responsibilities of commissioners in the new system
- Potential models for delivery
- What commissioners need to do now
- Issues for commissioning support to consider
In particular, it notes that arrangements need to be made for the provision of expert legal advice to frontline staff and managers regarding the correct implementation of the national framework and related legislation. We are currently delivering training to several clients on this topic and would be delighted to discuss this further with you, whether you are in a clinical commissioning group or part of a commercial support unit.