A new five year parent visa will be available from 17 April 2019. This is a temporary visa allowing parents of Australian citizens, Australian permanent residents, or eligible New Zealand citizens to reunite with their children and grandchildren in Australia.
The benefits of this visa are:
- it allows you to remain in Australia for up to five years without departing
- there are 15,000 places available
- there is no need to satisfy the balance of the family test.
There is a downside. This visa is taking the form of a visitor visa and as such, a no work condition will be imposed. This means you will need to provide evidence that you have access to sufficient funds to support yourself over that five year period.
An application for a temporary parent visa is a two-step process:
- step one – sponsorship application made by the Australian child
- step two – visa application.
The Department of Home Affairs charges for the visa application will be $5,000 for a three year duration, and $10,000 for up to five years.