The Senate Judiciary Committee approved legislation that revises portions of Pennsylvania’s juvenile justice system. The bills do the following (summary provided by the Senate Republican Caucus):
- Eliminate waiving counsel in juvenile delinquency hearings
- Create a victim advocate devoted to juvenile justice
- Require judges to state on the record the reasons behind disposition orders
- Prohibit shackling of juveniles in the courtroom
- The bills stem from Luzerne County so-called Kids-For-Cash scandal involving two county judges.