I recently concluded a personal injury claim for a Mr R, who suffered serious injuries to his right wrist whilst working as a labourer at a building site in North London in June 2010.

Mr R had been employed to strip out a private residential address to enable large scale renovation works to take place.  He was instructed to remove a large mirror from the wall of a bathroom at the property with the assistance of another labourer. During the process of removing the mirror from the wall, it split in half and fell onto Mr R’s right wrist.

Unfortunately, the mirror severed the radial artery in Mr R’s right dominant wrist. He received emergency first aid from a passing nurse and was then taken to hospital by ambulance. He was admitted and underwent emergency surgery to repair the radial artery. He was discharged the next day.

Mr R instructed me to pursue a claim for compensation against his employers. Fortunately, his employer’s insurers accepted liability immediately.

Mr R was initially off work for 3 months and during this time underwent intensive hand therapy. Whilst he still had ongoing symptoms, he had reached the point where he could return to work.

I arranged for Mr R to be examined by a medical expert in May 2011. The expert subsequently prepared a report confirming that Mr R had severe ongoing symptoms which he believed were caused by an entrapped nerve in the scar tissue in his right wrist. He recommended further surgery.

Upon service of the medical report, the insurers agreed to fund private medical treatment. Mr R was treated by a consultant orthopaedic surgeon and eventually underwent surgery on a private basis.

Whilst the surgery improved Mr R’s symptoms, he still experienced ongoing pain and aching from his wrist. He underwent a further course of hand therapy and then steroid injections, all of which were funded by the insurers. By June 2013, Mr R’s symptoms were still causing him discomfort but were not restricting his professional and personal life. The medical expert believed these symptoms were likely to be permanent but that they would not get any worse in the future.

Mr R’s claim settled amicably after issue of court proceedings for a figure way in excess of £50,000. This settlement did not include the cost of the private medical treatment, which was funded directly by the insurers.