Provisions of the Statutes Amendment (Occupational Licensing) Act 2013 (SA) (Amending Act) amending the Building Work Contractors Act 1995 (SA) (Act) were proclaimed by Government Gazette and commenced on 1 November 2014.
The Amending Act:
- increases certain penalties for unlicensed building work contractors;
- varies the circumstances under which natural persons and corporations are entitled to be granted a licence or be registered, including a fit and proper person requirement for registration;
- allows persons registered under Part 3 of the Plumbers, Gas Fitter and Electricians Act 1995 (SA) to be taken to hold building work supervisors registration;
- allows the Commissioner for Consumer Affairs to suspend, or impose conditions, on the licence or registration of a contractor or supervisor in urgent circumstances; and
- allows the Commissioner for Consumer Affairs to cancel, suspend or impose conditions on a licence or registration where the licensed or registered person no longer meets the criteria in the Act for an entitlement to be granted that licence or registration.