On 22 October 2019, the Bulgarian Road Infrastructure Agency announced a public procurement procedure for the “design and construction of a circular intersection at the city of Gabrovo from km 20 until km 30, including tunnels under Shipka peak”.
The Shipka peak tunnels will be the longest in Bulgaria. The estimated value of the entire procurement is approximately BGN 267 million (EUR 136 million), not including VAT.
Each contractor competing in the procurement should prepare an up-to-date, complete and coordinated technical design for the construction of the circular intersection at Gabrovo in the specified area and the tunnel under Shipka peak, which are both part of the “Road III - 5004” project. The total length of the road is 10,553 km with new construction accounting for 7,633 km and re-construction making up 2,920 km.
The total length of the tunnels, which will consist of five in all, is 4,011 km.
The procedure will be open and the minimum number of participants has been set at two.
The requirements for participation include:
- Being registered as a contractor with the Construction Chamber of the Republic of Bulgaria or similar registers for foreign applicants for first category construction projects.
- Minimal total annual turnover of BGN 300 million, including a minimal turnover of BGN 100 million in construction and design phases.
- Performance of similar activities during the last three years before filing the offer.
- Performance of similar construction works and volume during the last five years.
- ISO 9001:2015 certification (or an equivalent certificate issued by foreign authorities).
- Personnel with the necessary qualifications and competencies.
The project is to be financed by the programme “Transport Connection” 2021-2027.
The offers should by filed by 16 January 2020 and the criteria for assignment is the most attractive financial and economic plan.
The tender documentation can be found here.