The UK Border Agency has accepted that indefinite leave to remain in an expired passport can be accepted by employers as evidence of the right to work in the UK. This applies from 2 August 2010, although employers will still be required to undertake the same checks in relation to expired passports as valid passports to be able to comply with the rules on the prevention of illegal working.

It is important to note however that a certificate of entitlement to the right to abode must be in a valid passport to be acceptable proof of the right to work.